Thursday, March 1, 2012

Make it Happen March!



When you finish school you come to a startling realization: in the real world, things don't just happen on their own. You don't just roll out of bed and into life bleary-eyed and wearing pajamas, expecting to have everything planned out for you so that all you have to do is follow along well enough to get by with a pass.

In the real world, productive things only happen by intention. Dang. That sounds like work that can't be done in my pajamas.




I have lived most of my life in theoretical future victories. Some are pretty outlandish (wait, you mean I probably won't be the mayor of Neverland?) and many probably are not in my best interest (so you're saying Gerard Butler wouldn't make a good husband?), but many are attainable victories if only I would get up, suit up and show up ready to take action.


 "Let's do this thing!"


So why haven't I taken Nike's advice and "just done it"? Well, I also have lived most of my life in theoretical future failures. I'll say things like, "I'd love to do that but I just don't operate that way". "I'll just give up halfway through so I might as well just accept that I can't do it now". "It's not worth the pain it takes to get there". 

All fears, excuses and lies rendering me inactive and ineffective in my life and in the Kingdom. 

February's theme was facing your fears. Half of that battle was giving them a name and identifying their source. The other half was dousing those fears in truth and watching them melt away like the Wicked Witch of the West (or at least begin to).





So now it's March...more specifically it's Make it Happen March!

It's the month where concrete, practical steps are going to be taken towards those "someday" , "if only", and "I'd love to" goals.  It's the month where all the lies of "you can't" or "you're not good enough" are given the spiritual middle finger (Philippians 4:13 and 1 John 4:10 are merely the nail-bed of that finger)  and success is achieved despite years of believing it was out of reach.




With God all things are possible. With community and support, getting there is a little easier.


Personally, here are some things I'm going to make happen this month: 

+I'm going to begin a TEFL class to get certified to teach English as a foreign language in case I ever decide to teach abroad. It's something I've always talked and dreamed of doing, but have never taken any steps toward. This is the month to make it happen. 


+I'm going to continue training for and organizing a team for a 10K race in May in honor of someone I love ( if you're interested in joining the race or checking out the cause CLICK HERE). 
In doing this, I am making myself into the active and  productive person that I never thought I could be.


+I'm going to nail down solid plans and reservations for my trip to Europe this summer, making something I have been dreaming about since I was 17 an absolute reality.


+And finally, I am going to Continue to follow through with the crazy commitment of consuming no animal products for Lent (what was I thinking?!?). In following through with this insanity, I will be making myself into a person with incredible will power. A person who follows through on their commitments, even when it gets hard. 




This is the month to begin the journey of becoming your someday self . To set goals and achieve them. This is the month to make things happen!

You can do it!

Don't take my word for it, but the word of a wise man at the top of his field.

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose." ~ Dr. Seuss

He's right. And you can trust him. He's a Doctor. 



No comments:

Post a Comment